Wednesday, April 2, 2008

She's a Brick House

Ever since we picked out our brick in Mike’s office, we have been a little nervous about whether we would still like it once it was attached to our house and there was no turning back. It is really hard to know for sure what a house will look like covered in bricks when you are picking from groups of three bricks on a piece of cardboard in an office. To add to our apprehension, there is a new house down the street that has a stone/ brick combination that I’m sure looked wonderful in Mike’s office, but looks absolutely hideous on the house. And those poor people are stuck with it. And when I say hideous, that is giving it way too much credit. Seriously, if it were my house, I would get some really good insurance and set it on fire, before we even moved in of course. I think I will take a picture of it tomorrow and post it here so you can see what I mean.

Anyway, we have been a little nervous about what our brick would look like, but even if it didn’t look as good as we had hoped, at least we wouldn’t have the ugliest house in the neighborhood. They are about 2/3 done with the brick work, and I am pleased to report that we are very happy with our choice. We both love it. So now we drive around and Nancy says, as we pass each house, “Their brick doesn’t look as good as ours” or “that brick looks sorta like ours, only not as pretty”. She’s very entertaining, and not at all humble about her excellent taste in home decor. I say her taste, because I remember thinking that all the bricks looked pretty much the same, and telling her to hurry up so we could get back in the car and I could listen to the Aggie basketball game on the radio.

And if you visit our house and do not think that every faucet, fixture, and color is absolutely the most beautiful thing you have ever laid eyes on, do not dare tell Nancy. If you do, she will cast you into the Pit of Doom that she is having specially installed for just that purpose:

Okay, so that is just the view of our front entryway from upstairs, but I would still recommend keeping any negative opinions to yourself. Believe me when I tell you that the figurative Pit of Doom is much, much worse than the real thing.

Here are some pictures:





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the brick!