Monday, March 24, 2008

A Slow Week

Things are moving pretty slow with the house these days. That hasn't stopped us from checking up on it almost every day, however. The last few times we have gone out, it was obvious that nothing had been done since we last saw it. According to our construction manager, we are about to have bricks and sheetrock, as soon as the framing inspector checks everything out. I could save him the time and money...we have inspected every square inch and it looks up to code to us. To give you an idea how little has been done in the past week: When we went out there tonight, Nancy got excited because it looked like a spare 2x4 was laying in a different spot, a sure sign that someone had at least been in the house today.

Last week when we went out there and they had just poured our driveway, we got the bright idea to carve our initials in the wet cement. Nothing too big, just a small piece of evidence that we were there on the day they poured the concrete. The problem is, semi-wet cement is not real conducive to writing initials, especially small ones. It is very grainy and crumbles very easily. So when Nancy got a nail and tried to write our initials, it didn't work so well. Since you couldn't even tell what it was supposed to say, I repaired the damage. And by "repaired" I mean made it alot worse. So now we have a nice little rough patch on our driveway that sticks out like a sore thumb. Adds character, I guess.

We drove to Austin this weekend to meet Makinley. She is so tiny and adorable. She likes head rubs, sort of like her Aunt Nancy. I know Scott and Laura were very tired from a long week, so we didn't get to stay long, but we are glad they let us come by and meet the newest member of our crazy family.

We also got to see their new house for the first time, and we were very impressed. Laura was a little nervous after reading this blog, since she was sure Nancy was going to walk through and critique the light fixtures or countertops or something. Nancy loved their master closet, which is similar in size to what ours will be. Ever since she saw Laura's ironing board inside the closet, she has been very excited about being able to iron inside our closet (don't ask...I have no idea why that is exciting. I do my ironing with the dryer). She even did a rough measurement of our half-built closet today to make sure this would be possible. Thank God it is big enough, or we might have had to bail on The Fitz before we ever moved in. The problem is, the wide end of the closet, where putting up an ironing board is possible, was supposed to be my side of the closet. Nancy has now claimed that side for herself (and the ironing board) as well, so I am pretty sure I will now be hanging my clothes in the linen closet in the hallway. That is, until she needs more room for her shoes.

Here are some recent pictures, although not much has changed. The pictures of the Porto-Potties are after a big storm we had that blew them over. I would’ve hated to have been chunkin’ a deuce in there when that happened. Since then, we witnessed two non-construction-worker-lookin’ guys put our house’s Porto-Potty in the back of their truck and drive off. It still has not returned, so Nancy is convinced that the workers will now be using our bathtub as a urinal.



Aren't you glad it isn't your job to clean up this mess?


Our fireplace


I hope they haven't already used it as a urinal. Come to think of it, she was acting a little pissy on the way home that night.




Our driveway. My "repairs" are not visible in this picture.










No comments: