Sunday, March 30, 2008

Holy Sheetrock

When we first signed our contract with Mike, and he was going over all the specifics, I remember him pointing out one clause in the contract and explaining it, “When we get to the sheetrock stage, if you still haven’t sold your house, we have the right to start showing it to other prospective buyers.” I remember thinking at the time that that sounded so far away. Surely we would have our house sold by then. 2 1/2 months, 5 showings, and one joke of an offer later, we are at the sheetrock stage of our home, and still the proud owners of the little house at 24003 Silversmith Lane.

No worries though. We are confident that our house will sell. If not, we will have to get by like my sister and bro-in-law, and Nancy’s parents did. They both had trouble selling their houses, too…and they managed. Honestly, we are not at the point where we are stressing about it, although I would say we are getting a little anxious. And Mike has assured us he will not be showing The Fitz to anyone else. Which is very bright on his part, because Nancy might slash his tires if he did. She knows where he works.

Speaking of the sheetrock stage, Nancy went (alone) for the “pre-sheetrock meeting” yesterday. For those of you keeping score at home, that is a pre-release meeting, two design center meetings, a pre-construction meeting, and a pre-sheetrock meeting that I have managed to get out of going to. Damn, I’m good. Any of you guys out there that would like pointers on how to get out of boring stuff you don’t want to go to, I’m thinking about writing a book on the subject. Chapter 2 shows you how to get out of going to your wife’s college roommates’ weddings. Chapter 3 is Class Reunions. That’s as far as I’ve gotten so far. My number one tip is simple…”work” until at least 6 pm every night. I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of that one. However, after my wife reads this, I will probably be going to baby showers with her on Aggie football weekends this fall.

Our neighborhood is quickly turning into a ‘Who’s Who Among Teachers at Taylor High School’…where Nancy teaches. She has gotten out of control with trying to get referrals, which in turn get us $1000 off our upgrade costs at closing. So far, she has recruited two fellow teachers to Silver Ranch, and every week, it seems, there is at least one more teacher who is considering buying a house there. I mean, it is a pretty sweet neighborhood and all, but at this rate we are going to have to sit in tiny desks and raise our hands to speak at the neighborhood BBQs. She even recruits teachers she doesn’t like, which doesn’t make any sense to me. Nothing like selling out and having crappy neighbors…all for a thousand bucks worth of brushed nickel plumbing fixtures.

Seriously though, there is no one else I would rather be going through all this stuff with than Nancy. Well, maybe if she was the same woman without my Mom’s name…but I digress. She even thoroughly enjoys being picked on and being the butt…err, subject… of most of my stories on this blog. Although she did try to convince my sister last weekend that I am making it all up. She wishes.

This week is going to be an exciting week. They are going to finish the drywall and start laying bricks on Monday. Once the bricks are done, I suspect things are going to slow down for a while. So I will have to come up with something else to write about. I am sure you’re heartbroken about that. Prepare yourself for stories about crazy clients and their pets….that’s all I’m sayin’.

On to the pictures




Bricks are ready to go


Our living room


Kitchen


Stairs



Fireplace

No comments: