Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Weekend

We had a great weekend. On Saturday afternoon, after I was finished at the clinic, Nancy picked me up and we went to Brooke and Tyler's birthday party in Magnolia or Montgomery, or wherever Brandl and Danielle live. All I know is it is a long way away considering we live in the same "city". It was, of course, well worth the drive because a) we haven't seen Brandl, Danielle, and the kiddos since December, and b) because Nancy always drives, so I got a little nap :)

We didn't make it until the party was almost over, so we got to hang out with them for a while after the party. Nancy's dad Paul even made it down, even though we weren't expecting him to be there...so that was a cool surprise. He makes me feel not quite so dirty drinking beer at a four year old birthday party.

Brooke and Tyler got, of course, every gift you can imagine, plus some. Looking at Brooke and Tyler, as well as Logan, Brynna, and Makinley, and the number of gifts they get for each occasion, I have now determined that once JKW is here, we will need to add on 2000 square feet to our house just for the toys. I mean, it is insane the number of toys all those kids have.

Brooke and Tyler each got a bike from their mom and dad. Brooke got a yellow princess dress that she loved and decided to wear immediately. Tyler got a radio controlled car that he loved. So we hung out and drank some beer, ate some pizza, and played with the munchkins for a while. And they took the news of Jorge's name change pretty well.

Shortly before we left Brandl and Danielle's, I got a call from my weekend kennel tech that one of my patients, a cat named Kade, had pulled out his urinary catheter. Kade had the catheter in because he is not able to currently urinate on his own due to bladder inflammation (this is common in male cats). Obviously, Kade could not go a long time without being able to pee, so I had to go put another catheter back in. It is just not something a technician can do. However, I was an hour away, and I didn't want the tech to have to stay and wait for me, so I told her to just leave him. All the girls from work were having a party last night, so I didn't want to call anyone to come help me.

So Nancy and I stopped by the clinic and she got to be my tech. She had served as my technician once before, when we drew blood on Shelby at home for her breed DNA test. That had not gone so well. However, this time she was like a pro, holding the cat so I could place the urinary catheter. Well, she got peed on and almost vomited, but otherwise she did great. I'm wondering if once school is out she will work for free. Anyway, Kade got his catheter in with minimal difficulty and is doing well, complete with empty bladder, today.

Today, we set forth on an expedition to find chair rail for our nursery. It took a couple of attempts, but we finally found what we were looking for. We came home and slapped another coat of paint on the walls, and finished touching up the mistakes (Yes, Nancy wore her Darth Vader respirator (see picture below) to keep her from inhaling paint fumes). We even started putting up the chair rail. A very productive day.

After wrapping up the Great Nursery Renovation of 2010 for the day, we went to get a snow cone. Nancy has been trying to get one of these Bahama Mama Snow cones for at least two weeks now, but for one reason or another, she hadn't gotten one yet. She went on and on about how good they are, but I have never been much of a fan of snow cones. That could be because pretty much the only snow cone I have ever had were the crappy ones from our Little League concession stand...basically some nasty syrup on some crushed ice in a paper cone.

Because of my lack of excitement for snow cones, I did not get one of my own. Nancy ordered hers...a medium wedding cake with cream. Wait, what? Lorena Little League had grape, cherry and coconut. And I have never heard of cream on a snow cone. When she got hers, I took a little taste. It was not bad, but it was so rich I could only take one bite. It was like chugging a can of Eagle Brand Milk. She loved it though, and I can finally stop hearing about taking her to get a snow cone every weekend. Unless she decides she wants another one.

Here are a few pictures. Sadly, there are no pictures of Nancy getting peed on.




Brooke and her princess dress





Me helping her ride her new bike




They were excited to get their bikes!




Tyler and one of his many trucks





Brooke and what looks to be a potentially very messy gift. Good luck, Danielle




Nancy and her Darth Vader mask





Nancy and JKW




Rollin' rollin' rollin'

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Randy really gives me way too much credit. He forgot to mention that I barely painted or helped him this weekend b/c I've become a wimp and need naps and rest periods!! He is wonderful and is not complaining about doing the work himself.

PS - I want antoher snow cone but have my glucose tested today...probably not a good idea to get one before that!!

Laura said...

I hate snow cones. But, I love Bahama Bucks. I also get wedding cake with cream; next time add a splash of Big Red (it isn't actual big red soda (which I hate)). It will have you going back everyday. If we had one in Austin, I would stop by there everyday. Yum!