Friday, April 9, 2010

Bye Bye Old Couch

We finally got rid of our couch. I put it on craigslist once before, if you remember. If not: CLICK HERE

So this time, I made no mention of Nancy being with child. Once we finally got someone to actually show up to pick up the free couch, they didn't even ask to rub her feet or anything.

Side note: The couch was in our upstairs spare room. It had to be carried upright through two doorways and down an L-shaped narrow staircase. The guy who came to pick it up was like 80 years old. No problem. He brought along a teenager, who I could only assume was his great, great, great grandson.

So me and Old Man River start trying to weave this heavy, bulky, awkward monstrosity out of our bedroom doorway, down the winding stairs, and around 3 tight corners...while the strong, able-bodied kid watches. Well, that's not true, he did more than watch. He did give some verbal direction. He literally stood by while me and pops (mostly me, as Geriatric Jerry wasn't a whole lot of help) lugged this couch all the way outside. When we got to the back of their minivan, there was something in the back that was in the way. The kid had to move it so we could put the couch in (I couldn't tell what it was because it was dark)... but as he lifted it out, he complained about how heavy it was. Seriously. Me and Wilford Brimley are out there huffing and puffing, still holding the heavy-ass couch we just trekked down all those stairs, and he is complaining? So I dropped the couch, form tackled the little punk, and beat the snot out of him just for grins.

Ok, that last part only happened in my mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I seriously laughed so hard I cried by the time I got to the 4th name for the older gentleman who picked up your free couch... 5th if you count the implication that he was a great, great, great grandfather... loved it...