Part of the reason I have to paint so many things on the walls is to justify the 47 different paint colors we bought at Home Depot. You see, Home Depot has a little scanner in their paint department that will match any color you have to one that they can make. We took every piece of quilt, blanket, sheet, bumper, etc that Nancy bought to Home Depot and Nancy went nuts with the scanner. Most of the paint we bought just so she could play with the color scanner...so now I feel like I have to use all that paint. Luckily, I think we have every color that Home Depot makes, so we are done with the scanner...for now.
Last weekend, we went on a tour of the maternity ward at the hospital where JKW will make his grand entrance. That was fun. And by fun, I mean boring as hell. Two hours of my life I will never get back. Our neighbors, Sarah and Brent, are expecting their second son 5 weeks after JKW, so they went with us. They have done this before, so they knew the questions to ask and the issues that might come up during labor and delivery. We, on the other hand, were clueless. We have no idea what we are doing, where we are doing it, when we are doing it, and who will be doing it to us. Which is why Nancy signed us up for this orientation...thinking it might shed some light on the process. She was wrong. We learned such exciting things as every room has a bathroom and how to turn on the bad ass 12" tv they provide you with in the room. Actually, there was a little bit of valuable information that we learned...enought to fill up 10 or 15 minutes...but certainly not TWO FREAKIN HOURS.
We also did something that I didn't even know anyone did...we registered for baby gifts. Now I knew about registering for weddings, but I had no idea people did that for their baby shower. I didn't even do it for our wedding. Nancy and her mom took care of that. We went to Babies R Us (which now is evidently a whole store as opposed to an aisle at Toys R Us), where we were turned loose with a little scanner gun and our imaginations. We walked up and down every single aisle, some twice, deciding on such details as which bottle nipples our son might enjoy sucking on the best. Never mind that we've never even met the guy. He might prefer the realistic silicone kind, and here we are with a 100 pack of rubber ones. Do people buy nipples on craigslist? Just planning ahead.
I wanted to register for this, because I thought it was funny:

I also wanted to register for the breast milk alcohol detection kit, because, hey, that sounds like it might come in handy one day. But while it might be something we need, Nancy thinks it might be inappropriate to register for.
So after 8 or 9 hours of scanning bar codes for butt wipes, rash cream, and strollers, we finally wrapped it all up. The shower invitation should read: You are invited to our shower to celebrate the birth of our son Jacob. As a show of appreciation for your generosity in buying us a gift, here is a list of exactly what to buy us. If you stray from this list, your item will be returned for store credit. You've been warned.
We have scheduled our appointment for our 3D ultrasound on May 20th. I'll be sure and post some creepy pictures of our unborn fetus for your viewing pleasure.
Nancy is hanging in there. She is feeling him kicking around in there more and more. We play a little game called Flashlight, where we turn out the lights in the bedroom, turn off the tv, and sit in silence for a few minutes. Then we scare the bejesus out of our unborn child by shining a bright flashlight on Nancy's belly. I'm fairly certain that JKW will grow up with an unhealthy fear of bright lights, but it makes him kick, so it's cool.
Well, that's it for now. Time to get back to painting. Wish me luck as I battle the textured wall.
1 comment:
I'll save you the trouble of buying the breast milk test strips. The general rule is "if you can drive, you can nurse." If you are so drunk you can't walk, dump it (pump 'n dump). Only about 2% of alcohol actually makes it into breast milk. So in reality, if she drinks a lot, little J will just sleep really well. :) This was the advice given to me by our pediatrician.
Post a Comment