Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Design Center & More Pictures

Sorry it has been so long since I've written in this here blog. All of you (and by "all of you", I mean Nancy, since I'm pretty sure she is the only one that reads it. And she has been nagging...errr, encouraging me to write again) can exhale. The anticipation is finally over.

Since that last literary masterpiece, alot has happened. Unfortunately, none of it the least bit exciting. I missed all the fun of going to the Studio M design center (aka the bend-you-over and charge you $1000 for an elongated toilet center). Is the elongated toilet really an "upgrade"? I mean, the only difference is it's oval-shaped instead of round, right? Am I missing something? Does it also come with a built-in bidet, or is it made of some kind of more expensive porcelin? Does it require special plumbing? No, it's just a different freaking shape. Evidently oval costs twice as much as round in the toilet world. And Nancy actually considered paying for this "upgrade". Something about my aim not being so good, or something. Speaking of which, since we are showing our house to prospective buyers soon, evidently I need to "work on" leaving toothpaste in the sink, water all over the bathroom counter, and the previously mentioned aim. I stated my case that a buyer wants a house that looks 'homey' and has been lived-in, not a museum. I lost that argument.

Anyway, what was I talking about again? Oh yeah...design center. Nancy went by herself since I don't get off work until 6. I was so proud of her for not checking the All of the Above box at the end of the ten page list of "upgrades" at the design center. I even talked her into not paying them for the window blinds she wanted, since we can easily (and much cheaper!!) buy and install those ourselves. In the end (no pun intended) we got quite a few upgrades, but nothing too outrageous...and we managed to only go just a little over our allotted amount of free upgrades.

We also had to meet with our buddy, Mike, our sales rep with Meritage. We had to finalize our contract, and for some reason sign the exact same 532 pages we signed two weeks ago. Evidently, the 1435 signatures from last time were not good enough.

Nancy's mom finally got to see the model home. She really liked it, and she took alot of pictures, some of which you'll see in just a minute. While we were in our meeting in the little model home office/ future garage, she came in and asked Mike if there was any way for her to get up in the attic to check it out. He said no. But that didn't stop her. Actually, when she had asked him, "Mike, is there any way for me to get up in the attic and look around?", what she really meant was, "Mike, I am going to go climb in the attic now and snoop around. Do I have your permission, or do I have to sneak up there?" .So she went and got one of the chairs from the dining room, stood up on it, and climbed up in the attic. We heard a strange noise coming from the back of the house while we were signing the contract, somewhere around page 47. Nancy immediately whispered to me, "My mom's up to something". Luckily, Mike didn't go check it out. And we never heard her above us in the attic. She might have gotten in trouble from Mike over that one.

My parents haven't seen it yet, but knowing my mom, Doris won't be the last person snooping around without Mike's permission.

We also had to pick out our brick. From a 3' x 3' board with about 6 bricks arranged on it. That's like trying to pick out your clothes by only looking at a button. There's no way you can know what it will look like on your house based on six bricks on a board. So it's very possible that one day in a few months, when they finally start laying the bricks, that we will hate the bricks we picked and have to skip the country.

Anyway, they should start laying the forms for the foundation in a couple of weeks, so after that, you'll get updates a little more often. Until then, here a few pictures Doris took (none of the attic...guess she didn't want Mike to see the evidence):
Back of Model Fitzgerald



Nancy and me, and the back of Mike's head. Nancy is looking at me like I just farted, but I didn't. That was much later.

Our lot is officially off the market. And we are officially in alot of debt.

No comments: