Wednesday, March 28, 2012

20 months old

Today, our little man is 20 months old. Randy had the morning off, so we were able to capture his official picture before going out to lunch. You'll see a few of them here, but just know that we took nearly 40 pictures in the span of about 5 minutes. Here is the best one...



At 20 months old, Jacob is still doing a lot of his same "tricks" but is getting better and better at mimicking whatever we do. Here are some of the things I want to remember about him at this age...

- As far as taking goes, he talks, non-stop, all day long. However, the only things we really understand are ma ma, da dee, yea, yep, no and uh oh. He has gotten to a point where he sorta understands uh oh. The only problem is that he usually uses it AFTER he has thrown something to the floor. He still does his cute yum and ahhhh sounds. Not a whole lot of new words this month but we're trying!

- He is, finally, allowing me to brush his teeth. And he'll brush/chew on the toothbrush himself. As far as teeth go, he got another one yesterday (the lower, left canine). Other than the second molars (which come later) he is only missing one tooth. It is way behind and out of order! He's missing his lower, left lateral incisor. It doesn't even look like it's in there so I wonder if he has one! I'm sure he does as he has been slow with most of his teeth.

- He is officially on one nap a day. He's having to adjust to this as sometimes he only sleeps for a little over an hour. Days are much better when that one nap lasts for 3 hours. :o)

- I still weigh him each Monday morning, and he's currently in the 33 pound some ounces range. I think last Monday was 33 pounds, 4 ounces. No idea how tall he is. Let's just say tall.

- He is still rear-facing in his car seat. I know most people turn their kids around at 1 year old (since that is the law) but it is recommended that they stay rear facing until 2. I don't know if we'll make it all of the way to 2 years old since he doesn't get much air facing backwards. But who knows...

- Lately, he has been more grumpy than usual. I'm hoping it's due to the tooth that just popped through and the fact that he has a runny nose and cough and NOT just entering the terrible twos early.

Speaking of grumpy, here are some of the funnier, grumpier pics from this morning...






Is it wrong that I find these just as cute as the official picture?

And, last, he has this new "look" that I can't really explain. But Randy and I have both noticed it and noticed how often we see it lately (as in the last 2-3 days). It's a cross between shy and flirting and creepy. He does it when he sees someone new (in grocery stores and a lot to Jennifer yesterday at the library). And sometimes he just does it for fun. The full on "look" has his chin down, his eyes squinted/fluttering and the right side of his mouth smiling. But only the right side. Here are a few examples of the look...but none are the full on "look"...



The one above just shows the example of the right side of his mouth doing it's thing.



Another example of just the right side of his mouth "smiling".

And this last one is the closest we got to the full thing...




~ Nancy

3 comments:

mommagroom said...

That little guy is absolutely adorable!!! Just sayin'.

mommagroom said...

I can't believe that in 4 short months he'll be 2 years old!!!
(Of course, I can't believe that his momma is as old as she is!) Where does the time go?

Anonymous said...

Love 'the look'!