Tuesday, March 30, 2010

El Nino

It's a boy! For sure. 100%.

Today we finally had the "big" ultrasound. For every ultrasound so far, we have been at the OB's office. She has a nice ultrasound machine, and I was really impressed with her pictures. But today, they had to measure every part of his anatomy, so we had the ultrasound done at the hospital. The pictures she was able to get blew me away. They made our OB's pictures look like they came off my ultrasound machine at the clinic. I do a lot of ultrasounds (albeit on dogs and cats) and I have used several different machines, but this one was incredible. It was not one of those cheesy 3D ultrasounds...this was a real ultrasound where you can see inside of his little body. We could see his bones, all four chambers of his heart, his kidneys, his toes, his fingers, his nose, his lips...everything. But, alas, at a shade under $200K, I am pretty sure I will never own one of these wonderful miracles of technology.

Most importantly, everything looked normal. Well, except for the fact that he is 2 weeks bigger than he is supposed to be. But given that his parents ain't exactly the Olsen twins, that's really not that surprising now, is it? I'm just glad I don't have to push that gargantuan noggin out of any of my body orafices. I think that his size has made Nancy's decision on whether or not to have an epidural just a little easier.

Nancy went to Target this afternoon and started buying little boy outfits with sports and boy things all over them. Based on the amount of clothes she bought today, extrapolated out for the remaining 140 days of her pregnancy, and adding in the clothes that Doris is likely feverishly embroidering as I type this, I have determined that baby Jorge will never have to wear the same clothes twice.

I underestimated this baby preparation thing. I figured a few weeks before he was due, we would go and buy a crib, a car seat, maybe a stroller, and off we'd go. Nope. Tonight I was given a pop quiz on quilts. I'm talking about quilts with themes. Evidently every baby nursery needs a theme. And that theme must apply to everything within the walls of said room. Socks, paint, pictures, bedding, light switch, curtains...everything. There will be nothing in that room that is not adhering to the theme. Who knew? Anyway, these quilts, judging by their price, were hand-woven by Betsy Ross herself around the time of the Revolutionary War. It was as we were mulling over the choices in bedding that it hit me...this kid is going to cost me a lot. Time to make Lakeside Animal Clinic into a 24-7 hospital I guess. How many gift-receiving baby showers is too many?

Nancy has yet to feel the little booger kick, which was hard to believe as I watched him kick her uterus like it owed him money. Soon, I'm guessing, she will long for the days when she was oblivious to the fetal dance-a-thon going on inside her.

We finally got some good quality pictures that you don't have to drop acid to visualize a baby in them. So here they are:

First up is a straight on view of his face. Nancy was very creative with her file names for the pics, so I will use hers. This one is "He's looking at you"








Next is "He has a cute profile". Which obviously is a side view of his face. You can make out a nose and lips. Told ya these pictures were good.






Next up is "his right arm and fist". Self explanatory. Although we can't quite make out his thumb, which leads me to believe he has inherited Nancy's nub thumbs.





And finally, the most graphic photo. Imagine yourself looking up while Baby Jorge was sitting on the toilet, and this is that view you would get. Yep, this one is appropriately titled "Definitely a boy". The green arrow is pointing to his boy parts, in case it wasn't obvious.




That's all for now. And before anyone else asks, no, we have not decided on a name yet. We have had about 12 hours of certainty that he is a boy, so give us a break! That does narrow down our choices for themes, however. Thank God.

7 comments:

The Doodys said...

So happy that everything is going well! Tell Nancy to stop buying clothes, they don't need that much. Also, since it's a boy you can always go with Jorge!

Unknown said...

Yes Randy, this kid is most definitely going to cost you a lot of money. And for a long time too. Congrats! :)

Nancy said...

For the record, we weren't looking at "quilts". We're having a baby not a 90 year old man!!

We were looking at crib bedding sets...learn the lingo Randy!

Randy said...

This is going to be a looooong 4 months.

Anonymous said...

You two are hilarious... Congrats on the boy, and good luck with the themes!

JHP said...

Don't mind me - I'm just a blog-stalkin' friend of Laura's. Normally, I would just lurk and keep quiet, but I wanted to say "congrats!" on the little boy!

Randy said...

JHP, don't worry... Nancy stalks your blog, too. And thanks!