Monday, February 9, 2009

The Fitz-lympics

It was a fun weekend. Scott came into town on Friday night and he, Nancy, and I went to dinner and our favorite sports bar. Derrick also came into town, but he stayed with his sister Friday night. Everyone met at our house on Saturday after I got home from work. By everyone, I mean Scott, Derrick, his girlfriend Tiffany, his sister Kara, her boyfriend Ryan, our neighbors Sarah and Brent, and their son John.

We broke in my new poker table, with the help of our neighbor Todd. I came out in the black in the inaugural poker game. A whole two bucks. Derrick and Scott were the big winners on the day, clearing about 40 bones each.

After the poker game, I grilled some venison sausage and burgers and Nancy made her signature sausage wontons. After dinner, we had planned to go out on the town, but everyone was so excited about our games (or old, lazy, and tired) that we decided to stay here and have a little Fitz-lympics. The Fitz-lympics involved separate tournament brackets for Air Hockey, Darts, 3-ball Pool, Blackjack and Foosball. It also involved everyone drinking copious amounts of beer and liquor...but that wasn't an "official" event. We actually drew names to pair people up and had actual brackets drawn up. Despite some early kinks, it actually worked out. There were 8 players in all. Nancy did not compete. Her actual job was referee, but she ended up just dealing blackjack. I should say she didn't officially compete, because she did take great pride in busting people out as the Blackjack dealer. Some of the participants might say a little too much pride.

Ryan was the overall winner, with two championships of the five. Brent eked out a win against me in our championship Air Hockey match (my best event). He went up big and held off a furious rally for the win 10-9. There will be a rematch (since he lives right next door).

It was a great time, and everyone seemed to have fun. It was a miracle no major damage was done to the house. Scott tracked in one of Shelby's land mines and Tiffany spilled a beer on the Blackjack table. Other than that, The Fitz survived. Shocking, I know, that with this bunch only one beer was spilled. I just knew someone would spill a beer on my poker table, despite my rad casino cup holders. Luckily, the poker was early enough in the day that everyone was still semi-coherent.

The major damage was to Nancy's (left, non-math problem working) hand. Shelby and Scott's dog Maya decided to have a squabble, and Nancy tried to intervene. Shelby caught a mouthful of flesh somehow. Shelby would never purposely bite anyone, especially her mama...but it was a pretty nasty bite. Nancy's hand is still pretty sore and swollen. Immediately after the bite, she asked me, as the resident veterinarian (and someone who has been bitten more times than I can count) what to do. My sage advice: Drink through it. I think she was hoping for a little more from me, frankly.

Everyone finally left about 1 am. Which is closer to Nancy's wake-up time than her bed time. But somehow she managed to hang. It was a lot of fun seeing my college buddies and having some immature fun. I may be married, with a house, have two degrees, and own my own business, but in reality I am still a 14 year old masquerading as a mature adult. My wife would say not masquerading very well at all.

No comments: