I'm going to actually skip out on work Saturday so we can go to Surfside Beach for the weekend with my family. They rented a beach house for the week. Unfortunately, I can't take the whole week off, but two days is better than nothing.
The last time we went (two years ago), I opened the cooler to grab something to drink. I had had plenty of beer the night before, so that was not particularly appealing at the time. So I grabbed a soda. It happened to be a Caffeine-Free Pepsi. Now that in and of itself is not that unusual. My mom drank Caffeine-Free Dr Pepper for years and years, so I just figured she was branching out. It wasn't half bad, so I had another later on. Then I may have had 6 or 7 more over the course of a couple of days. On the last day Nancy and I were there, as I reached into the cooler for another, I found that there was only one left. No worries. There were still lots of Diet Cokes, Dr Peppers and the like for everyone else. So I cracked it open and took a sip.
Laura looked at what I was drinking, got an evil, angry look on her face, and yelled, "You're the one who drank all my Pepsis!! I brought those for me!! Those were MINE!!"
Whoah! Easy there. I didn't know they were hers. She has never drank Pepsi in her life, let alone Caffeine-Free Pepsi. I felt kind of bad, but hey, there were still plenty of other options in the cooler. But she was mad at me the rest of the day, and kept bringing it up over and over. I even offered to pay her back for them. And we had brought plenty of food and drinks, and she was welcome to whatever she wanted of our stash. No need to be so stingy. I even told her to write her name on what she brought so that no one would make the mortal mistake of touching her precious property, since obviously she wasn't in the sharing mood.
Well, it turns out, a few weeks later we find out that Laura is pregnant with Makinley. She and Scott had known when we went to the beach, but had not yet shared the information with the family. So that was why she went the Caffeine-Free route. Evidently you are not supposed to drink Caffeine when you are pregnant. So Laura drank a lot of water after I unwittingly polished off the last of her only other option. Oops!
This year, I am going to ask before I eat anyone else's food or drink anyone else's drinks. Never know who might be pregnant. But the moral of the story is not to keep secrets from your family.
No comments:
Post a Comment